We will maintain an appropriate and consistent approach to case disposal, employing prosecution, cautions, reprimands, warnings or diversion dependent on the circumstances of each offence and offender. We aim to:
- deal effectively with serious offences and persistent offenders;
- deal quickly and simply with less serious offences;
- prevent or avoid unnecessary appearances in the criminal courts; and
- divert offenders from committing further crimes, particularly those who are young.
And, in doing this we:
- recognise the need to treat people fairly and in accordance with relevant legislation and guidance;
- will involve, consult and exchange information with other agencies, appropriate to the offender or their offence; and
- will apply a progressively stronger response to repeat offending behaviour.
If you have a query about this policy, please telephone 101 and ask for the Head of Criminal Justice Support.
Alternatively, you may write to West Yorkshire Police Headquarters, PO Box 9, Laburnum Road, Wakefield, West Yorkshire, WF1 3QP, England.