‘Operation Dancefloor’ aims to raise awareness of a recent rise in such thefts among shoppers and clubbers, by encouraging people to take simple steps to avoid becoming a victim.
Thefts of this nature rose by nearly a quarter in the last year, and anyone who becomes a victim faces the expense and inconvenience of replacing the stolen items along with the heartache of losing treasured photos, videos and others items.
You can guard against becoming a victim of theft by:
- Always securing zips and fastenings on bags and pockets.
- Never leaving bags, mobile phones, coats and other valuables unattended.
- Avoiding advertising your valuables to would-be thieves.
You can also protect your mobile phone by:
- Downloading a tracking app.
- Insuring it, and recording the IMEI number.
- Saving all your contacts, in and address book or on a computer.
Over the coming months, officers will be handing out crime prevention advice and speaking to people in city centres about ways to avoid becoming a victim.