What is the Explorer Programme?
Explorers is an exciting programme designed for young people aged 16-18 to investigate different aspects of policing and at the same time support their communities through volunteering. The three main aims are:
- To engage with young people representative of the communities and neighbourhoods of the respective Districts delivering the programme
- To provide voluntary opportunities for young people to gain an insight into modern policing, whilst making a positive contribution to their local community
- To deliver a diverse and exciting programme demonstrating the role of the Force, and to promote West Yorkshire Police as an attractive and rewarding career opportunity
The programme is delivered over a 28 week period between January and July, commencing with an Induction Day. Explorers attend weekly sessions held on a Wednesday evening at Police Stations across West Yorkshire. There are also a number of other sessions where Explorer groups come together for combined sessions, or that take place at specialist locations across the Force.
Where does it run?
The Police Stations where the programme run are as below.Bradford – Trafalgar House Police Station, Nelson Street, Bradford, BD5 0EWCalderdale - Halifax Police Station, Richmond Close, Halifax, HX1 5TWKirklees - Huddersfield Police Station, Castlegate, Huddersfield, HD1 2NJLeeds East - Stainbeck Police Station, Stainbeck Lane, Chapel Allerton, Leeds, LS7 3QULeeds West – Otley Police Station, Bridge Street, Otley, Leeds, LS21 3BALeeds South - Elland Road Police Station, Elland Road, Leeds, LS11 8BUWakefield - Normanton Police Station, Havertop Lane, Normanton, WF6 1FD
What does the Programme consist of?
The Programmes comprises core sessions delivered by West Yorkshire Police officers and staff from a wide range of departments, including Roads Policing, Family Liaison, Counter-Terrorism Unit, Corporate Communications and Crime Prevention. In addition, there are sessions chosen by each District Explorer lead - this may include neighbourhood policing deployments, Public Order Training, or role-playing. The Programme culminates in an Awards Evening, with trophies for the District Explorer of the Year and overall West Yorkshire Police Explorer of the Year.
- Be aged between 16-18 years old. You should be at least 16 years old or still be 18 years old when the programme starts at the end of January each year
- Live in West Yorkshire
- Be able to commit to one evening per week throughout the course of the programme. This is usually Wednesday evenings for 2 hours at either 6-8pm or 7-9pm.
- Be enthusiastic about the Police Service and be interested in working in the community
Applications should be submitted using the online application form. The link also contains a 'Frequently Asked Questions' document.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected], telephone 01924 292334 or telephone/text on 07841 899917
Find Explorers on Twitter by searching for @wypexplorers or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/wypexplorers