Child Sex Abusers Jailed for More Than 140 Years
Monday February 8, 2016
Twelve men have today been jailed for more than 140 years for historic sexual offences against young girls.
The men from the Keighley and Bradford area were sentenced at Bradford Crown Court for the offences which occurred in Keighley between 2009 and 2012.
A picture of each offender can be found below the text detailing their name, offence and sentence.
The sentenced men were:
Khalid Raja Mahmood (34), who had previously pleaded guilty to two charges of rape and three counts of sexual activity with a child was jailed for 17 years.
Tauqeer Hussain (23), of Belgrave Road, Keighley received 18 years for three counts of rape
Sufyan Ziarab (23), of Kendall Mellor Court, Keighley, received 15 years for two counts of rape
Bilal Ziarab (21), of Sedgwick Close, Bradford, received 12 years for two counts of rape
Israr Ali (19), of Devonshire Street West, Keighley, received 3 ½ years detention in a Young Offenders’ Institution for one count of rape
Nasir Khan (24), of Buxton Street, Keighley, received 13 years for one count of rape
Saqib Younis (29), of Bradford Street, Keighley, received 13 years for one count of rape
Hussain Sardar (19), also of Bradford Street, Keighley, received 6 years detention in a Young Offenders’ Institution for one count of rape
Zain Ali (20), of Buxton Street, Keighley, received 8 years detention in a Young Offenders’ Institution for one count of rape
Faisal Khan (27), also of Buxton Street received 13 years for one count of rape
Mohammed Akram (63), of Holker Street, Keighley received 5 years for one count of sexual activity with a child.
Yasser Kabir (25), of Belgrave Road, Keighley received a total of 20 years for three counts of rape and for offences committed against two young girls between 2004 and 2008.
Speaking afterwards, Detective Chief Inspector Nicola Bryar, of the Homicide and Major Enquiry Team, said:
"We are pleased that these men have now been sentenced for their terrible crimes against vulnerable young girls.
"We would again like to praise the victims for their courage in coming forward and enabling these men to be put before the courts. We hope that today’s sentences will give them some closure and help them with rebuilding their lives.
"Child Sexual Exploitation remains a priority for West Yorkshire Police. It is totally unacceptable and it is the responsibility of all agencies, communities and individuals to identify those responsible and help bring them to justice.
"West Yorkshire Police, the West Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner and partner agencies are committed to doing everything they possibly can to ensure that children are safe, cared for and protected from harm. We are committed to working closely with these partners and will take positive action against those who abuse or neglect children.
"We hope that this case will encourage others who may have been victims of child sexual exploitation, whether recently or in the past, to come forward and report it to the police, who will always seek to take positive action against the perpetrators."
West Yorkshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner, Mark Burns-Williamson, said: "Child sexual exploitation (CSE) and sexual abuse are abhorrent crimes.
"I welcome today’s sentencing and commend the painstaking and thorough investigation by West Yorkshire Police, with the assistance of Bradford Council’s Safeguarding Team. I would also like to praise the courage of the brave survivors of these horrendous crimes for coming forward and giving evidence.
"I hope today’s sentencing sends a clear message to those involved in CSE that the Police and partner agencies will do everything in their power to prevent CSE and sexual abuse and in seeking justice for the victims.
"Tackling CSE and serious sexual violence remain a priority in my Police and Crime Plan and I made an extra £3.5million available to West Yorkshire Police to deal with CSE as well as Human Trafficking and Cyber-Crime which are often inter-related. I have also given £440,000 to raise awareness in schools, increase support for victims, provide out of district sanctuaries for victims and establish information sharing protocols and data tracking to ensure there are no barriers to protecting vulnerable people all across West Yorkshire.
"Part of the money was used to create the new role of Safeguarding Co-ordinator within my office for the whole of West Yorkshire which has proved to be invaluable in better joining up safeguarding practices.
"In addition local groups and organisations that help tackle CSE have been given grants from the Safer Communities Fund which uses money seized from criminals under the Proceeds of Crime Act – such groups working in schools and local communities are crucial in raising awareness amongst young people.
"I will do all I can, working with West Yorkshire Police and partners in safeguarding services, to make sure people in West Yorkshire are safer and feel safer. I hope today’s sentencing acts as a warning to anyone involved in CSE and sexual abuse that they will be dealt with and brought to justice, however long it takes."