West Yorkshire Police

For non-emergencies dial 101 - In an emergency always dial 999



What is wildlife crime?

People buying, selling, harming or disturbing wild animals or plants that are protected by law. 

Examples include:

  • Poaching of game, venison and fish.
  • Disturbing, injuring or killing bats, and damaging or obstructing their roosts
  • Taking protected plants from the countryside.
  • Violence against badgers, disturbing a badger sett.
  • Poisoning of animals, such as birds; or taking their eggs.
  • Illegally trading in endangered species.
  • Smuggling protected species (e.g. tortoises, ivory, …)


Why stopping wildlife crime is important?

  • It can be linked to other serious crimes like theft, burglary, drugs, money laundering and firearms offences.
  • It reduces the number of rare animals and plants, pushing them closer to extinction. 

How can you help?

If you witness a suspected wildlife crime in action call 999 and ask for the police.

For all other enquires including information about wildlife crime, you can contact:


  • Kirklees Wildlife Crime Officer –   DC 1883 Bryan Butterworth – 01484 436565 (or 101 and leave a message)
  • Valleys NPT - 01484 436855
  • Crime stoppers – 0800 555111 

If possible give information on:

  • What is happening
  • The exact location (a map reference or local landmark can be useful)
  • The date and time of the incident.
  • Who is involved (e.g. number of people, clothing, tools being carried or any dogs)
  • The make colour and registration number of any vehicle.
  • If it is safe to do so take photos.
  • Remember to ask for an incident log number.

For non-emergencies dial 101
In an emergency always dial 999


Get Involved!


Sign up for newsletter