If you are requesting Information that West Yorkshire Police hold about you, you are entitled to request this under the Data Protection Act.
This type of request will enable you to request a National, Local or Dual search.
Additional Data Protection Links
Employment Related Vetting Checks
Where "police checks" are being requested by organisations / employers prior to employing an individual, then a basic check request must be made to Disclosures Scotland and not a subject access request (DP Act S56. Prohibition as to production of certain records)
Disclosure Scotland Telephone Helpline : 0870 6096006
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
P.O. Box 250
Individuals requiring Police Certificates for the purposes of applications for emigration, visas, work permits or residency in Australia, Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, Chile, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States of America should download the application form for an ACPO Police Certificate from the ACPO website.
Please note that this Certificate is processed entirely by the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO). All submissions and enquiries relating to this process should be directed to ACRO, who can be contacted through the following routes:
Telephone: 0845 6013999 (during their office opening hours of 8:30-16:30, Monday to Friday)
PO Box 481
Please do not return this application form to West Yorkshire Police.
NOTE: Thiscertificate is NOT for employment vetting.
Fair Processing Notice
The Data Protection Act 1998 was brought into force on 1st March 2000 and works in two ways.
- It gives individuals certain rights.
- It also says those who record and use personal information must be open about how the information is used and must follow the eight principles of 'good information handling'.
This statement sets out the principles we will apply when handling personal information.
- West Yorkshire Police collects and uses personal information so that it can carry out its legal and legitimate functions as defined by legislation, common law and best practice.
- We use information to prevent and detect crime; to apprehend and prosecute offenders; to protect life and property; maintain law and order and give assistance to members of the public.
- We may use your personal information to analyse our performance and effectiveness. It might be necessary for us, or third parties who we deem appropriate, to contact you and ask you to assist us in this analysis in order to gather information about the service we are providing to the public and to improve that service wherever we can. (If you do not want your contact details to be passed on to a third party, please either ring 01924 294514 or email email@example.com email providing your name, address and the unique reference number given to you. If you would like any further information about this research, please contact Victoria McIlroy tel 01924 292159).
- Where possible and appropriate you will be informed of the reason why your personal information is being held. Personal information may be held without your knowledge or consent when this is necessary for purposes such as the prevention or detection of crime, the prosecution or apprehension of offenders, national security, and public safety.
- All personal information is handled in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- We will collect and use information only for policing and associated purposes and will not use or disclose information for any other purposes without your consent unless required to do so by law, or it is in the over-riding public interest to do so.
- We may give information to agents or contractors so that they can provide the facilities we need. In such cases legally binding contracts covering the use and security of your information will be put in place.
- We may share information with other agencies under partnership working arrangements. Where personal information is shared, personal details that can identify individuals will be removed where appropriate. We will share personal information only when it is lawful to do so and when your rights have been fully considered. Please click here to view what we do with your information.
- We may disclose your information for the policing purpose to any of the various other organisations listed under West Yorkshire Police at: http://www.ico.gov.uk/Home/tools_and_resources/register_of_datacontrollers.aspx
- We take great care to ensure the information we hold is accurate, kept up to date and is destroyed when no longer required.
- We use a variety of physical, technical and procedural measures to protect personal information from unauthorised or accidental disclosure, loss or corruption.
- Our staff are trained in the appropriate procedures and policies for correct handling of personal information.
- West Yorkshire Police actively implements and regularly audits all aspects of information handling including security of information.
- We will normally provide a copy of any information we hold about you on request. You can request your own information using the link at the top of this page. If you believe the information we hold is inaccurate or misleading it will be checked and corrected if appropriate.
- If you are unhappy with the way in which we have handled your personal information you can contact the Information Management Team at Police Headquarters, West Yorkshire Police, PO Box 9, Laburnum Road, Wakefield WF1 3QP Telephone 01924 292633 Fax: 01924 292726.
Requests for Information Charging Structure