101 Non Emergency Number

101 should be used for any non-emergency situation such as to report a crime or suspected drug dealing.  Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired people can use textphone 18001 101.

Non-emergency crimes can also be reported online at www.westyorkshire.police.uk/reportcrime


See the YouTube videos  and Download our posters

There are several ways to contact West Yorkshire Police:

  • Dial 101 for any non-emergencies or to report a crime. 101 replaced the old 0845 non-emergency number.
  • Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired people can use textphone 18001 101
  • Always call 999 in an emergency where there is a danger to life, or a crime in progress
  • Contact your local Neighbourhood Policing Team to speak to a local officer about community issues.
  • Visit www.askthepolice.co.uk where you can find the answer to a wide range of frequently asked questions. 

When to call 101
You should call 101 when it is less urgent than 999 but you need to report crime or disorder.

For example:

  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You wish to report drug dealing
  • To report a minor traffic accident
  • To speak to the police about a general enquiry

101 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
You should still use 999 if it is an emergency, such as a crime is ongoing, there is a danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.
101 is also be the number to call any other police force in a non-emergency, so wherever you are in the country you can call the same number to speak to the police.

Cost of calling 101
All calls to 101, regardless of whether they are being made from a landline or mobile phone, will cost 15 pence per call. It doesn’t matter how long the call lasts or what time of day it is.

Who will answer 101 calls?
Calls to 101 will be answered by local call handlers in the West Yorkshire Police control room. This means that the person you speak to will have local knowledge and be able to deal with your enquiry appropriately. Your call will not be put through to a national call centre.
When you call 101, the system will determine your location and connect you to the police force covering that area. You will hear a recorded message announcing the police force you are being connected to. If you are on a boundary between two or more forces, the recorded message will give you a choice of which force to be connected to.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why was 101 introduced?

101 is a national number to call to contact your local police. It was rolled out by the Home Office, across England and Wales with the support of all 43 police forces. 

101 will:

  • Help communities keep their neighbourhoods safe by giving them an easy way to contact the Force to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency police response;
  • Make the police more accessible to their communities while reducing pressure on the 999 system and helping them to identify and allocate resources where they are needed the most;
  • Help the police to cut crime by making it easier for the public to pass on information about crimes in their neighbourhoods and allowing the police to take swift action.
  • Read more about 101 here on our 101 Did You Know page 

What if English isn’t my first language?
West Yorkshire Police have access to professional interpreters so they can quickly translate your call if you have difficulty speaking English

Why are calls to 101 not free of charge like 999?
101 is a service made available to members of the public to be used in situations that do not require an immediate police response. As such, it is appropriate that a contribution is made to the cost of providing this service. The police service has always charged for non ‘emergency’ related calls and the introduction of the National 101 number allows for this cost to be standardised across the country. The Home Office has negotiated a competitive price for this service, and in many Force areas the 15 pence per call charge replaces previous higher charges. 101 is not a profit making telephone number.

If people have to pay 15 pence to call 101, will they not just call 999 instead as it is free?
We acknowledge that there will always be a risk that people will use the 999 system inappropriately rather than pay 15 pence to call 101, for example if they do not have enough credit on their mobile phone. We will continue to raise awareness of the consequences of inappropriate use of 999 in order to limit this. Where the 999 system is being abused we will seek to take appropriate action that can include having your phone disconnected.

Who is funding 101?
The national 101 telephony infrastructure is funded by the Home Office and the Department for Communities and Local Government. The operation of the 101 number in West Yorkshire is funded by West Yorkshire Police. 101 is not a profit making telephone number.

What happens if you call 101 but it is an emergency situation?
If you call 101 and it is deemed to be an emergency situation, our trained police operators will put you through to 999 for immediate help. Always call 999 in an emergency. For example, this is when you need an immediate response because a crime is happening; someone suspected of a crime is nearby or someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.

What happens if I am calling the police about something that happened outside of West Yorkshire?
If you are calling about something that happened in a different area still call 101 and our police operators will put you through to the relevant police force to deal with your query.

What happens if I am outside of West Yorkshire but want to speak to West Yorkshire Police?
If you are calling from outside the West Yorkshire area you can still dial 101, you will hear a recorded message advising you that you are being transferred to the local Force for that area, you will then be offered 'press 1 to hear alternative Force options'. You will hear a list of the surrounding Forces to that area, after this you will be offered the option to speak to the operator. If you press # you will be connected to the Operator and can be connected to any Force in England or Wales.

What if I want to speak to my local neighbourhood policing team?
You can still speak to your neighbourhood policing team by calling their direct telephone number. If you do not have their details, they can be found on our website by entering your postcode. Alternatively you can call 101 and one of our police operators will be happy to help you.

PDF Downloads
101 A4 Poster
101 A5 Flyer
101 A5 Flyer Reverse