12 Days of Crime Prevention
West Yorkshire Police is calling on young crime fighters across the region to give Christmas tips that could help reduce crime over the festive period.
We are launching our competition on Friday 10th November, for children aged 12 years and under, to record a video with a Christmas themed scenario that aims to raise awareness around crime prevention.
The 12 winners will be used in our #12DaysOfCrimePrevention promotion on social media, receive a certificate and be entered into a prize draw to be the overall winner.
The overall winner – in addition to having their video used on the Force’s social media platforms - will also win a tour of West Yorkshire Police's Carr Gate training complex. Subject to any operational requirements on the day, they will have the opportunity to see the National Police Air Service helicopter, the horses in the Mounted Section and the firearms and public order training areas.
Entries can be submitted via the online form below or by tweeting @WestYorksPolice using the hashtag #12DaysOfCrimePrevention.
Videos submitted via the form will need to have been uploaded onto a video sharing platform (such as YouTube or Vimeo) and the link to that video submitted on the form.
The competition closes at midnight on Wednesday, 29th November, 2017.
The overall winner will be chosen by Chief Constable Dee Collins after the closing date. The winner will be announced on Tuesday, 5th December, 2017.
Full terms and conditions, as well as an entry form can be found below.
We want your videos to be around crime prevention at Christmas. We’ve listed some ideas below to help you along if you’re struggling for a theme/topic. Your video should be no longer than 30 seconds.
Going out sledging? Make sure you put your house alarm on when you go out.
Don’t leave presents under the Christmas tree, if they are visible from windows.
Keep doors and windows locked at all times, even on Christmas Eve. Santa has his ways of getting presents under the tree!
Don’t leave your Christmas shopping in the car, always take everything in the house and store out of view from both kids and burglars!
Be careful at cash machines, always shield your pin.
Always keep valuables such as phones or purses secure, don’t make it easy for thieves / pickpockets.
Below is an example video of the type of entries we are looking for:
- All entries must be original videos and fit the theme of ‘Police Crime Prevention’
- All entrants must be either 12yrs old or under and must currently live in West Yorkshire.
- Entries can be submitted via Twitter (using the hashtag #12DaysOfCrimePrevention), or through the online form (below).
- The 12 winners will be used on Facebook and Twitter from 13th December – 24th December.
- The overall winning entry will win a tour of Carr Gate, visiting NPAS, Mounted Section, Firearms and Public Order Training (*subject to vetting).
- Any video entered may also be used to promote staying safe at Christmas on the Force website and social media accounts.
Competition terms and conditions
- Videos, name and age of all entries will be displayed on the Force’s digital platforms.
- All entrants must obtain parental consent to enter the competition.
- West Yorkshire Police will have the right to amend and reproduce any submitted video.
- The winning entry, name, age and a photo of the winning entrant will be displayed on the Force website.
- The prize of a tour of Carr Gate will be arranged at a mutually convenient time for the winner and West Yorkshire Police and maybe re-arranged if operational duties require. Must be claimed by 31.1.18.
- There is no financial reward for winning the competition and no expenses will be paid for the visit to Carr Gate.
- Winner will be subject to a police background check / vetting before confirmation
- Corporate Communications have the right to discount any entries that contain inappropriate images or language, or do not fit with the ’12 Days of Crime Prevention’ theme
- The winning entrant must submit written parental consent prior to publicity.