Domestic abuse – tell someone before it’s too late
24 Hour Domestic Violence Helpline - 0808 2000 247
If you need to contact the police in an emergency but aren’t able to speak to the operator, click here for information about silent 999 calls.
Please see below for more support
Anyone can report domestic abuse and help change the lives of people around them.
It is often the case, that once the circumstances of domestic abuse have been revealed, there were many people close to the victim, or who saw them regularly, who had realised something wasn’t right. They may have suspected abuse but did not challenge an excuse, a bruise or behaviour that, once they knew the truth was actually hiding the extent of the abuse they were suffering.
There are many people that the victims of abuse come in to regular contact with each and every day. These people may notice a change in behaviour, unusual actions or responses to questions and invitations, or even challenge someone on a visible marks such as bruises or scars.
West Yorkshire Police encourages these people to report these often hidden offences, and to seek help from the police and other agencies to protect the people they know and care about. The sooner the abuse is reported, the sooner the victim can receive the help and support they need.
It is not only the victim or a family member who can make a report. Anyone can raise their concerns anonymously and in confidence with agencies including the police, if they think that someone is being abused in any way. Speaking out could make a massive change to the lives of the victim and those around them.
By more people feeling confident and empowered to report their suspicions, more victims can be offered the support they need to make decisions about their future.
If you have been a victim, or witnessed domestic abuse or have suspicions that someone you know could be being abused and do not wish to speak to the police, there are many organisations, listed below who can offer support and advice.
Anyone can report domestic abuse by calling 101 and asking to speak to your local Safeguarding Unit.
If a crime is ongoing, and there is a threat to life always call 999.
West Yorkshire Police
You can contact the police 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on the non-emergency number, 101.
If you are in immediate danger or there is a crime in progress, always call 999.
If you are deaf or hard of hearing in a non-emergency use Typetalk 18001 101
Report domestic abuse safely and securely online with our domestic abuse reporting form.
You can chat online to the police using '101 Live Chat' at www.westyorkshire.police.uk/contactus
National Support Agencies
- National Domestic Violence Helpline – 0808 2000 247
- Karma Nirvana (Forced marriage / Honour based abuse helpline) - 0800 5999 247
- Men’s Advice Line - 0800 801 0327
- GALOP (National LGBT Domestic Abuse Helpline) – 0800 999 5428
- Crimestoppers - 0800 555 111
- Childline - 0800 1111
- Paladin (Stalking Advocacy Service) – 020 3866 4107
- National Stalking Helpline – 0808 802 0300
- Victim Support - 0845 456 5995
- West Yorkshire Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) - 0330 223 3617
- Men Reaching Out (Male Domestic Abuse Service) – 01274 731020
Bradford Support Agencies
- Staying Put – 0808 2800999
- Bradford Women’s Aid – 01274 666241
- Bradford Rape Crisis – 01274 308270
- Men Reaching Out (A service for male victims of Domestic Abuse) – 01274 731020
- Men Standing Up - http://www.bradfordcyrenians.org.uk/men-standing-up/
Calderdale Support Agencies
- Calderdale Staying Safe – 01422 323339 Out of Hours - 07590 884206
- Women’s Centre Calderdale – 01422 386500
Kirklees Support Agencies
- Pennine Domestic Violence Group - 0800 052 7222
- Kirklees Asian and Black Women’s Welfare Association (KABWA) – 01484 304338
- Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing - 01484 414886
- Wish Project (Women into Single Housing) - 01484 512739
- Women’s Centre Huddersfield - 01484 450866
- Women’s Centre Dewsbury - 07590 445846
- Kirklees Rape & Sexual Abuse Counselling Centre (KRASACC) - 01484 450040
Leeds Support Agencies
- Leeds Domestic Violence and Abuse Services - 0113 246 0401 or Text phone - 07825 156 087
- Support After Sexual Violence Leeds (SARSVL) - 0808 802 3344
Wakefield Support Agencies
- Wakefield District Domestic Abuse Service - 0800 915 1561
- Women’s Centre Wakefield – 01924 211114
Posters / Images / Downloads
Please note that the information available in the image is the same as the information (text version) next to it. This image has been made available in order to be printed and displayed for educational and support purposes.