How we can tackle anti-social behaviour

While West Yorkshire is a safe county with low levels of serious crime, anti-social behaviour continues to disrupt the lives of far too many residents.

At West Yorkshire Police we take this very seriously indeed, which is why we have introduced more neighbourhood officers to work with residents and local organisations to find real solutions to anti-social behaviour and other local problems.

Anti-social behaviour can make an area frightening and unpleasant to live, work and relax in. This is not right, which is why the police, councils, West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service and other public and voluntary organisations use their powers to get to the root of the problem and take action to stop it.

There are many different types of anti-social behaviour and in some cases, other local authorities are responsible for dealing with anti-social behaviour issues.  Please have a look at our checklist so see which organisation would deal with your issue.  You can follow the link and report it online, or ring our contact centre on the numbers shown below.


Anti-Social Behaviour Checklist

Police Responsibility

Council Responsibility


Abandoned Vehicles

Dealing/taking of drugs & drinking
alcohol in the street

Dead Animals

Gangs and youths drinking in parks

Dog Fouling

Harassment or intimidation

Fly Posting / Graffiti

Hoax call to emergency services

Littering / Fly Tipping / Waste on Land

Misuse of Fireworks

Lost or stray dogs

Prostitution and indecent behaviour

Noise Nuisance / Noise from DIY


Syringes or needles

Report the above issues to West Yorkshire Police

Report the above issues to your Local Council


How to report anti-social behaviour


What we can do

  • Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs) - where an individual recognises the effect their behaviour has on others and agrees to stop. This may be offered with support to help them do this.
  • Criminal Behaviour Orders (CBOs) – court orders to tackle persistently anti-social individuals convicted of an offence. Breaching a CBO can lead to up to five years in prison and / or a fine of up to £5,000.
  • Closure Powers - shutting down  premises being used or likely to be used to cause nuisance or disorder. Closures can last for up to six months. Breaching a Closure Order can lead to up to 6 months in prison and / or a fine
  • Designated Public Place Orders - to limit drinking of alcohol in a set area. Alcohol can be confiscated and anyone refusing to cooperate can be arrested. The penalty is a £50 fine or being banned from drinking in public.
  • Public Space Protection Orders – to deal with particular anti-social behaviour  in a public space. Failure to comply can result in a Fixed Penalty Notice or court fine.
  • Fixed Penalty Notices and Penalty Notices (fines) - can be used by police officers, PCSOs and accredited council officers to impose fines of up to £80 for causing a nuisance.
  • Dispersal Orders - can be used to move people away from a particular area if there is, or is likely to be anti-social behaviour, crime or disorder. People under 16 years of age can also be returned home. Failure to comply can result in 3 months in prison and / or a fine.
  • Community Protection Notices (CPNs) – to stop a person, business or organisation committing anti-social behaviour ,and deal with particular ongoing problems or nuisance. Failure to comply can lead to sanctions including a Fixed Penalty Notice and / or forfeiture.


What you can do - get involved in your community

You can help us tackle crime and anti-social behaviour by: