Same Sex Domestic Abuse

Our experience of domestic abuse homicides involving same sex partners indicates that where it appeared that there was a history of domestic abuse no reports were made to the police.

This is why the police have teamed up with Yorkshire Mesmac - the sexual health project, the Gay Police Association and Stonewall - the diversity champion to raise awareness.

The campaign called “Same Sex Domestic Violence, We Wont Turn Our Back” uses images of a man and a woman with injuries, bruises, cuts and foot prints on their backs. 

The reasons for under reporting may include a fear of not being believed and that it will be dismissed by the police. It also appears that victims, particularly men won’t admit that they are being abused as they are embarrassed.

The campaign aims to highlight what help is out there for victims and offenders as well as trying to bring down some of the barriers some victims may see.

For help and advice please contact :

West Yorkshire Police on 101 / in an emergency or if there is an incident ongoing contact the police on 999.

Yorkshire Mesmac

Galop - National LGBT Domestic Abuse Helpline  0800 999 5428 / [email protected]

Same Sex Domestic Violence Campaign Artwork Same Sex Domestic Abuse Campaign