Car key burglaries
Having your vehicle stolen can be extremely upsetting and have a major impact on your daily routine – getting to work, dropping the kids off at school or running a business. Car Key burglaries account for just under 10% of burglaries in West Yorkshire and some of the makes and models stolen include VW Golf, Vauxhall Astra, Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta, Audi A3 and Vauxhall Corsa. The vehicles stolen may end up getting written off, used in other criminal offences, sold on or broken down for parts.
- If you have a garage don’t use it as a storage area, clear it out and keep your vehicle secure inside it
- If you have to park your vehicle on your driveway or on the street, consider using additional security devices, make sure the area is well lit, ensure the vehicle is secure and that nothing of value is left in it – i.e. tools, laptops, money, route finder
- If you have gates securing your driveway area make sure you keep them closed and locked
- If required, consider getting a professionally fitted car alarm and/or immobiliser
- Never leave your car keys on show through a window when not using them. Do not leave them in locks, on the window ledges or kitchen/hall tables and never on a hook behind the door or in reach of a letterbox or cat flap
Your vehicle may be the second biggest investment you make after your home and it’s very important to do all you can to secure it and not attract any unwanted passing attention to it.