Unexpected call? Confirm it's not a fraud
Criminals may use a range of tactics over the telephone, including pretending to be from HMRC, banks, loan companies, phone and internet providers.
If you receive an unexpected call, confirm the identity of the caller before engaging in conversation.
Notify your bank if you gave out your bank or card details.
Report fraud to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
Protect yourself - have you:
Received unexpected correspondence?
- Dealt with this company before?
- Been asked for personal and/or banking information?
- Thought about ringing them back on a number you know to be genuine?
- Asked for contact by post instead?
Protect others - have they:
Received more phone calls than usual?
- Had persistent phone calls from the same number?
- Had unexpected transactions appear on their bank statement?
- A landline telephone without a display?
- Fallen trying to get to the phone?
Leaflet for Printing
Please note that the information available in the PDF leaflet is the same as the information (text version) above it. This leaflet has been made available in order to be printed and displayed for educational and support purposes.