Cylinder locks are present on the majority of UPVC doors and we are aware that some offenders have developed a way of overcoming them to then gain access into a home. West Yorkshire Police have led on this issue nationally with colleagues at Secured by Design and industry/trade authorities such as the British Standards Institute, the Door & Hardware Federation and the Master Locksmiths Association. There are now ways that you can reduce the opportunity for a euro-cylinder burglary to take place at your home.
Two nationally recognised standards exist for cylinders:
- TS 007 (1 star or 3 star)
- Sold Secure Diamond Standard for lock cylinders (SS312)
Door handles are also tested to TS 007 standards and can achieve a 2 star rating.
West Yorkshire Police recommend that a 3 star solution is the minimum to achieve if you are upgrading your cylinders. The fitting of a cylinder achieving a 3 star rating is the preferred option given it provides the maximum level of security for a lock under the TS 007 testing process. However, 3 stars can also be achieved by fitting a 1 star cylinder in combination with a 2 star handle. Depending on your budget you could obviously achieve a 5 star solution too by the fitting of a 3 star cylinder in combination with a 2 star handle.
The star rating system has been designed to give you options depending on your personal circumstances and existing security.
Cylinders achieving the Sold Secure Diamond Standard (SS312) are also tested to the highest standards and this standard is recognised alongside TS 007 at a national level.
Top 5 Tips:
- Look to upgrade your cylinder locks to one’s that have either achieved a 3 star rating under TS 007 and/or the Sold Secure Diamond Standard (SS312). Some cylinders have achieved both.
- Enhanced security handles achieving a 2 star rating under TS 007 should also be considered.
- Cylinder locks can be changed by yourself. However, it is vital that they are measured properly to ensure the right size for your door. They should NOT be fitted so that they are left protruding from the door unit or handle.
- If you are going to ask someone to upgrade your locks for you consider using the Master Locksmiths Association (www.locksmiths.co.uk). Always obtain 3 quotes for the fitting of new locks to the standards referenced above and pick the one that best suits your circumstances.
- You may also be able to fit sash jammers to your doors, which have also proven to prevent burglaries. It’s important that you check the warranty for your door first though, in order to ensure that the fitting of additional devices won’t negate it.
If you would like further advice on this matter, or any aspect of crime prevention, please do not hesitate to contact your local Crime Prevention Officer.
- Master Locksmiths Association – www.locksmiths.co.uk
- Secured by Design – www.securedbydesign.com
- Sold Secure – www.soldsecure.com
- Door & Hardware federation – www.dhfonline.org.uk
Page last reviewed January 2020