Modern slavery / human trafficking
If you have reason to suspect trafficking or human exploitation, please report information and intelligence to the Modern Slavery Helpline on 08000 121 700.
If you feel that it is an emergency, please dial 999.
Having a general awareness of Modern Slavery/ Human Trafficking and the types of exploitation that accompany this appalling crime, it should alert us to signs and situations that don’t feel right. By having the courage to report, we can all be a part of reducing and preventing this from happening now and in the future.
Modern Slavery is an absolutely horrific and despicable crime that we can all play a part in preventing. Is there a house on YOUR street that isn't quite in keeping with the others?
- Do the people living there appear isolated or secretive?
- Do more people appear to be living in the house than would normally be expected? Are the house windows covered from the inside?
- Have you ever noticed anyone taking an excessive amount of bed mattresses into the house?
- Do the people that live there get collected/taken to work early in the morning and returned late at night?
- Do the people living there appear to be controlled? Are they always accompanied if you see them out and about? Do they avoid eye contact or conversation?
- If you have spoken to anyone living in the house, do they know who they work for? Are they getting paid an exceptionally low amount of money or had their passports/documentation taken off them?
- Do the people living there look malnourished? Are they wearing the same clothes all of the time?
- Have you noticed anyone who appears to be living in outbuildings, barns, trailers or under any other roofs that arouse your concerns?
If you notice a property on YOUR street where one or more of the above indicators are present, please contact the Modern Slavery Helpline on 08000 121 700 or www.modernslaveryhelpline.org
You can also ring West Yorkshire Police on 999 if someone's life is in immediate danger.