999 or 101 – which number

Report it
Report a non-emergency minor crime in minutes using one of our online reporting forms.

Only call 999 in an emergency where there is a danger to life, or a crime in progress

When to call 101
You should call 101 when it is less urgent than 999 but you need to report crime or disorder.

For example:

  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You wish to report drug dealing
  • To report a minor traffic accident
  • To speak to the police about a general enquiry


You can also use our 101 LiveChat system to chat direct to our Contact Management team.