Register as a foreign national



We are now FULLY booked for appointments until January 2019. All available appointments have now been filled. More appointment's will be released soon please keep checking your online account.

Please be aware that you only have 20 minutes to submit your information online. If this time lapses it will not submit your information correctly and you will have to resubmit your information again.


If you are a foreign national, aged 16 or over you may need to register with us shortly after you arrive in the UK. If this is the case, it should be written on your entry-visa vignette (an extra page stuck in your passport), biometric residence permit (BRP) or your Home Office letter approving your application for leave.

Find out more below about who needs to register with us, who is exempt and how to get a police registration certificate (PRC).

Please note

If you don’t register with the police when you're required to do so, that is an offence under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971 . You could be fined up to £5,000 and/or six months imprisonment. Your current or any further application for stay in the UK could also be affected.


What is a police registration certificate?

A police registration certificate (PRC) is a document that proves you have complied with the requirement of your visa. We will issue one to you at the end of your registration process.

Your PRC may be accepted as proof of identity in the UK. However, we don’t recommend you carry it with you. Please keep it in a safe place with your passport and travel documents.

If a police officer asks you to produce your PRC, you then have 48 hours to show your PRC at any police station.


Who is required to register?

If you need to register with the police on your arrival in the UK, it should be written on your entry visa vignette, biometric residence permit or Home Office letter or email approving your application for leave. We can’t register you if you don’t have a requirement in writing on any of these documents.

You will probably need to register with us if you’re 16 or older, and are from one of these countries:

Afghanistan Algeria Argentina Armenia Azerbaijan Bahrain Belarus
Bolivia Brazil China Colombia Cuba Egypt Georgia
Iran Iraq Israel Jordan Kazakhstan Kuwait Kyrgyzstan
Lebanon Libya Moldova Morocco North Korea Oman Palestine
Peru Qatar Russia Saudi Arabia South Sudan Sudan Syria
Tajikistan Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan UAE Ukraine Uzbekistan

Note: A person who holds a passport issued by the Special Administrative Region of either Hong Kong or Macao is classed as a Chinese national.

Some 30-day visas require you to register with the police. If this is the case it will be written on the visa. It may say:

  • ‘Pol Reg’ or
  • ‘Police Registration’ or
  • ‘Register with Police in seven days of UK entry’

Please check to be sure.


Who does not need to register with the police?

If you have dual nationality with one country in the list above and one country that is not, you don’t need to register with the police.

Likewise, you don’t need to register if you have permission to live permanently in the UK, or are the family member of an EEA citizen.


If you are already registered but have moved to another area

If you go to live in another area in the UK you must report this change online and book an appointment within seven days of arriving in the new location.

There is no charge, and you will continue to use the same certificate. Please see section ‘Reporting a change in circumstances’ for more information.

Children under 16, are also not required to register.

If you are unsure if your visa requires you to register then you MUST contact the Home Office to ask about the requirement it gave you.