Request information about yourself or someone else

Selecting the best route

There are a number of ways that you can make a request for access to information held by the Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police.

It is important to choose the correct route otherwise you may not receive the information that you need which can lead to delays and disappointment.

Please note that information supplied in connection with any access to information request will be used for the purpose of administering the request and to ensure the accuracy of information held on Police systems.

The following are the most common routes available:


Requesting information about a child sex offender (Sarah's Law)

To make a request for information as part of the child sex offender disclosure scheme (Sarah's Law), please either

A police officer or member of police staff will take the details of what prompted your enquiry and talk you through the next steps.

We carry out risk assessments at every stage.


Requesting information about a domestic violence offender (Clare’s Law)

To make an application as part of the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (Clare’s Law), please either:

We'll take the details and talk you through the next steps. You'll need to give your:

  • Name
  • Address 
  • Date of birth

A safe means of contacting you will be established and we'll carry out some initial checks to make sure there's no immediate concern. If there is, or if you tell us a crime has taken place, we may act on it.


Requesting information for family or civil courts

Please note disclosure cannot be made to members of the public involved in Court proceedings without an order requiring that disclosure from the court.

If you're not sure, speak to either your legal representative or the court

We require at least 28 days’ notice of a Court Order date. Please note that your Order will be processed only up on payment of any relevant costs.

Orders should be sent to our Disclosure Team:

[email protected]

For help in finding a solicitor please go to:

For more information on how West Yorkshire Police processes Family Law Court Orders, please see the Family Court Proceedings webpage.


Requesting Information about West Yorkshire Police

Information about the Police (not about you) can be requested under the Freedom of Information Act. We are required, within 20 working days, to let you know in writing whether we hold information that you have requested and provide a copy if we do unless an exemption applies to the information.

To make a request please use the Freedom of Information request form 

Or alternatively contact us using the below contact details:

[email protected]


Freedom Of Information
Laburnum Road

Requesting a copy of your criminal conviction history for your own interests

Please make a subject access request at the Home (, where you'll get full details of how to apply and which ID documents you need to supply.


Requesting your own information for visa or emigration purposes

Please go to the Home (, where you'll find full details (including costs) of how to apply for a police certificate for:

  • emigration
  • visas 
  • residency abroad


Requests for Information for Employment Purposes

If your employer requires a criminal convictions check or your work, either as a paid employee or as a volunteer, will bring you into contact with children or vulnerable adults you may have to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) basic check.

Visit the DBS website to find out more (including costs).

Companies requiring individuals to exercise their right of access, as a form of police employment vetting, is unlawful. It is a criminal offence for an employer to ask individuals, as a condition of employment, to go through this process.


Information about you

You can request access to your own personal data under the GDPR 2018.

Subject to certain exemptions, you have a right to be told whether West Yorkshire Police holds any information about you (your ‘personal data’) and a right to be provided with a copy of that personal data within a calendar month.

Please be aware that West Yorkshire Police may lawfully decide not to provide you with some information including your own personal data. For example, we will not provide your personal data if we feel releasing it to you would be likely to prejudice policing purposes, and, we may not provide you with information that identifies other individuals. 

To make a request please complete this Right of Access online form.

For any general enquiries please contact: [email protected]

For more information about how West Yorkshire Police processes your personal data and your information rights please go to: 


Freedom of Information and Right of Access Performance Statistics

Click here to go to the Freedom of Information and Right of Access Performance Statistics on the What Our Priorities Are and How We Are Doing page


Last Updated : January 2021