West Yorkshire is a safe place to live but you can always do more to look after yourself and your property:
- Don’t be put off by the “urban myths” international students pass on about crime in your local area, go out and explore your new home city but don’t be naïve. Every city in the world has crime and where you live will be no different.
- Read the advice on this web site and look out for yourself and your friends.
- Give yourself time to get to know your local area and “British” customs, as you feel more at home here you will feel safer and happier.
- Keep the telephone number of your college or university’s security department handy, in case you need any help.
- It is important to seek advice when replying to adverts about renting houses and flats in the UK. International students are often easy targets for fraudsters when looking to settle in a new town. Speak to your University who will offer advice. If its too good to be true it probably is. Ensure you report any fraud or attempt fraud to Action Fraud
“Don’t carry huge amounts of cash with you when in the UK, most outlets, shops and bars take bank and credit cards. It is a good idea to keep a contactless card in a signal jamming pouch. Look for RFID wallet when searching”
Want to know more? Visit these sites:
Uni of Leeds - the international student office
British Council Education UK - Further information on student safety tips and advice
NUS - advice for international students from the national union of students
UKCISA - a practical guide for studying in the UK