Motorbike and scooter security
An unsecured motorcycle, scooter or moped is an easy target for thieves as they are relatively lightweight and can be wheeled away and lifted into a waiting vehicle.
Below are useful tips on how to keep your motorbike, scooter or moped safe from thieves.
- If your motorbike or scooter doesn’t already have one, get a Thatcham or Sold Secure approved electronic immobiliser professionally fitted.
- Secure your motorbike to a solid object that can’t be moved.
- Audible alarms should be used where possible as this will generate more attention than the thief wants.
- Always put a steering lock on.
- When you are not using your motorbike or scooter, put it in a garage or a secure outbuilding with a fixed or ground anchor to secure it to inside the building.
- Don’t leave your garage open and make sure your vehicle is covered up, even when you are at home.
- Use tamper proof screws to secure your motorcycle number plate. These screws will prevent number plates from being stolen which are used on stolen vehicles to commit crime.
- Use a motorcycle chain, disc lock or cable and lock. Thread the chain through your frame, as many vehicles are stolen for parts.
- These should be secured to an immovable object (such as security loops or bars), which will provide a difficult barrier for the thieves to break through.
- Pay for the best quality you can afford and wherever possible choose Police Approved ‘Sold Secure’ gold standard products.
- Whenever possible, avoid leaving your helmet or other accessories on your motorbike or scooter or in a luggage space on panniers.
- If you are parking your bike, leave your seat open so that thieves do not break the seat lock if they target your vehicle and search for items to steal.
- Use a parking space built specially for motorbikes or scooters. They will have stands or security loops.
- Look for one that has achieved the police approved safer parking award-Park Mark. Find out more at: www.parkmark.co.uk
- Marking individual parts of your bike makes it more difficult to sell on. It can also help police officers trace and return your bike if it is stolen.
- This is simple to do with forensic security marking kits. Choose 'Secured by Design' approved forensic marking products.
Please read our motorbike and scooter crime prevention leaflet for more advice.