Autumn / Winter Burglary Advice
Burglaries can often increase during the longer darker nights in the autumn and winter months.
However, crime prevention doesn't have to cost a lot of money - taking simple measures such as timer lights, dusk till dawn lights, locking your doors and windows and using your alarm can significantly reduce your chances of being a victim.
Here's some simple steps that everyone can take to improve their home security : -
- Always lock your doors and windows even when you’re at home
- Always take the key out of the lock and keep it in a safe place - do not leave keys in reach of the letterbox, a cat flap, or on view through a window.
- Invest in timer light switches, and set lights to come on and go off in your home - using low energy light bulbs.
- Make sure items such as car keys, laptops, tablets, phones and cash cannot be seen through a window.
- Do not leave power cables or charger units for laptops and tablets plugged in and on show.
- Make sure Euro cylinder locks have achieved - TS 007 (3 star rating) or Sold Secure Diamond Standard for lock cylinders (SS312).
- If you have a burglar alarm always remember to switch it on when you leave the house or when you go to bed.
- Why not start a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme in your area?
For more advice, and to download our new Burglary Toolkit, visit the home security advice page.
Or scroll down to read our printable Crime Prevention Advice Cards
Autumn / Winter Home Security Advice Card
Other Home Security Advice Cards