Volunteer Police Cadets
Volunteer Police Cadets scheme for 13 – 17 year olds
Are you interested in becoming a Volunteer Police Cadet?
- Do you have an interest in policing and public services?
- Would you like to volunteer in the service of your community?
- Would you like to have the opportunity to achieve the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award?
You will be eligible to apply to the scheme if you meet the following criteria:
- 13 – 17 years of age
- Will be in year 9 or above at school/college in the new academic year this September
- Live in the county of West Yorkshire
Our programme is linked to the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (DofE). You must be in year 9 or above to register for the Bronze Award.
If you already have the Bronze Award and would be interested in completing the Silver Award, you may be offered the opportunity to join one of the Silver groups. Please contact us to discuss.
The scheme is not an entry route into a policing career, but you will have the opportunity to gain an insight into policing, develop key life skills and support your local community.
As a Volunteer Police Cadet, you will have the opportunity to:
- gain an insight into policing
- make a difference to your local community through volunteering
- achieve the DofE Award
- take part in fun and exciting activities
- make new friendships
- develop key life skills
Cadet units meet once a week for two hours during the school term. This is normally after school in the late afternoon/early evening. Please contact your preferred location for details of local meeting days and times.
Volunteering events and expeditions usually take place on weekends.
West Yorkshire Police’s Volunteer Police Cadets scheme follows a two-year programme, which is linked to the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (DofE). Over 300 cadets currently take part in the programme across all five districts of West Yorkshire.
Register your interest
To register your interest for the September 2022 programme, please email [email protected] with your name, email and preferred location.
Once you have registered your interest, we will invite you to a workshop day at your local cadet unit.
The cadet units will be based in the following locations: