Rogue Or Bogus Traders
These are dishonest tradespeople who often turn up unannounced.
Due to the time of year, when people start to think about having some work doing, these rogue traders / bogus workers may visit the address and try to obtain cash, through deception, for work that is not necessary, done to a poor standard and overpriced.
It's best to not open the door to anyone you don't recognise.
- Obtain 3 written quotes before choosing a trader.
- Don’t pay any money upfront, particular in cash.
- Only pay for work once it has been completed and you are satisfied with the job.
- Report issues with rogue traders to West Yorkshire Police online, by calling 101 or by texting 07786 200 200 if you are deaf or hard of hearing. Call or text 999 if they are still on your doorstep.
- Report issues with companies to West Yorkshire Trading Standards via Citizens Advice online or by calling 0345 404 0506.
Consider using a trusted trader scheme or charitable organisation for the work:
- Age UK Calderdale & Kirklees Business Directory
- Leeds Directory of Vetted Traders
- Royal British Legion's Handy Van Service - Poppy Calls
Not an exhaustive list - other organisations are available that may offer the same services.
Further information on Doorstep Crime can be found on the West Yorkshire Police website.