UPDATE: Explosion, Hick Lane in Batley

Friday 8 February, 2019

Detectives are continuing to investigate the cause of an explosion at a flat in Batley.

The incident happened on Wednesday 6 February; emergency services were called at 6:47pm to reports of an explosion on Hick Lane.

Five males, aged between 35 and 39 were taken to hospital following the explosion for treatment for burn injuries. All remain in hospital.

Throughout the last couple of days, police and partner agencies have been tirelessly working to ensure the safety of the building and residents nearby.

A police cordon has remained in place in the nearby vicinity of the building whilst the investigation continues. Some roads around the area have since been reopened.

Detective Superintendent Pat Twiggs, from the force Homicide and Major Enquiry team who is leading the investigation, said: “We were able to safely gain partial access to the building yesterday afternoon and commence a detailed forensic search. We can confirm the explosion was not caused by a mains gas leak or any utility issue. A large number of small flammable gas cylinders in one of the flats is believed to be the source of the explosion. Enquiries and further forensic testing will be required to understand how the cylinders came to ignite and if any criminal offences have been committed. We anticipate being able to return the premises to the control of the owner today.

I would like to thank all the residents and nearby businesses affected by the incident for their patience and cooperation whilst police and other emergency services have been conducting their enquires.”

Anyone one witnessed the incident or has any information are urged to come forward and speak to the police via 101 quoting log number *1589 of 6 February.


Thursday 7 February, 2019

Police are continuing to investigate an explosion in Batley last night.

Officers were called at 6:47pm (6 February) to Hick Lane in Batley and emergency services including ambulance and fire service were quickly deployed to the scene.

Five males aged between 35 and 39, suffered burn injuries and were quickly taken to hospital for urgent medical treatment. They all remain in hospital at this time.

The Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team were also called to the scene as a precautionary measure to ensure the safety of the property and the houses in the surrounding area.

A police cordon remains in place in Batley town centre whilst enquiries continue to establish the cause of the explosion.

Drivers are asked to avoid the area and find alternative routes.

Detective Superintendent Pat Twiggs, said: “Police and partner agencies have worked throughout the night to ensure the scene is safe and there is no safety risk to members of the public.

“All injured parties are still in hospital receiving treatment for their injuries.

“We will be continuing with our enquiries throughout today and would like to thank the local residents and public for their patience whilst we establish the full circumstances of the incident. At this stage, we are not treating it as a terrorist incident.”

Anyone with any information is asked to call the police via 101 quoting log number 1589 of 6 February.


Wednesday 6 February, 2019

Police and other emergency services are currently dealing with what is believed to be a gas explosion in the Batley area.

Officers were called at 6.47pm to reports of a loud noise.

A number of people have received burns and are currently being treated in hospital. It is not currently thought that anyone has suffered life threatening injuries.

Chief Inspector Wayne Horner said: “I understand that this will have caused concern amongst the community; residents can be reassured that Police along with our partners from the other emergency services are on scene dealing with the incident.”

News type