Police Foreign Nationals Registration Scheme

Foreign Nationals Registration - Immigration Act 1971.

Under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971 foreign nationals from certain countries are required to register with the police.

Failure to register with the police is an offence and where a person fails to register it can leave them liable to a fine of up to £5,000 and/or six months imprisonment. Your stay in the UK may also be affected.

Registering with the Police

In order to register with the police you must first be included on the list of countries required to register.

If your home country is not on this list you do not need to register with the Police unless your visa instructs otherwise or you have been instructed to register by an Immigration Officer at your port of entry.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

If you are required to register with the police please see below form relating to registration. 

Gen/89 – Registration with the Police (PDF document to be completed by hand)

This form should be completed if you have not registered before. Please attend at West Yorkshire Police’s Overseas Registration Office (address below) with the required documents.

This form should also be used if you have registered with another police force and have moved to West Yorkshire.

Please note that all changes to your circumstances MUST be reported to the police within seven days of the change occurring.

Important – please do not send your documents to the office by post as we cannot ensure their safety.

If you have any questions about registering with the police please contact:

Overseas Registration Office
Pudsey Police Station
Dawsons Corner
Bradford Road
LS28 5TA

Telephone:  0113 2414917/0113 2414817/0113 2414860/0113 2414899.

Opening Hours:  Monday to Thursday, 9am until 4pm (last registration 3:30pm).

The office will be closed on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. Next Bank Holiday: Tuesday 25th & Wednesday 26th December 2018; Tuesday 1st January 2019.


Latest Updates

A new ONLINE Police Foreign Nationals Registration system will be launched SOON.

The exact date will be known on 26th November and displayed here.

Until then we can only process 20 Registrations per day at the Police Station

If we cannot register you at the Police Station then you will be given a letter granting an extension to your visa requirement of "register within 7 days” until the new online system is launched. 

Please check back here for the latest information.


We can now accept payment by BANK CARD. The following Card types are accepted: MAESTRO; MASTERCARD; MASTERCARD DEBIT; VISA; VISA DEBIT; VISA ELECTRON.


All certificates paid for prior to today's date are now complete and ready for collection.

Please bring your Yellow Receipt and/or Passport to collect your certificate from Pudsey Police Station (Opening hours Monday-Thursday 9am-4pm).


Frequently Asked Questions

When must I register?
As soon as possible after your arrival in the United Kingdom. If your passport contains only a 30-day visa because you are due to collect a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for the rest of your stay, please do not register until you have collected the BRP.

Do I need an appointment?
No – but if you are a student please attend only on the day shown below for your university/college : -

  Leeds University Tuesday & Wednesday
  Huddersfield University & ISC Monday
  Bradford University Thursday
  Leeds Beckett University Thursday
  Leeds International Study Centre Thursday
  Leeds English Language School Thursday

Students at academic institutions not listed above may attend on Thursdays.


Where can I register?
Overseas Registration Office, Pudsey Police Station, Dawsons Corner, Bradford Road, LEEDS, LS28 5TA.


How much do I have to pay for registration?
Registration costs £34 per person and is payable on initial registration.


What happens at registration?
Your passport will be photocopied and given back to you, and you will be given a receipt and instructions regarding the collection of your Police Registration Document (or Certificate). You will need to present your receipt when collecting your Certificate.


What do I need to bring when I register?
Your passport or travel document, your biometric residence permit (BRP) (if applicable), the £34 registration fee, one passport-size photograph, and confirmation of your status in the UK (i.e. study letter or work permit / employment letter).


What will happen if I do not register with the Police within seven days?
Failure to register with the Police is an offence under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971 and where a person fails to register, the Police can consider prosecution. You can be liable to a fine of up to £5,000, six months’ imprisonment, or both. Your stay in the UK may also be affected. 


Does everybody have to register with the Police, including children?
All foreign nationals (as shown in the list of countries) aged sixteen years or over will normally have to register with the Police. Registration may also depend on the type and length of the visa granted. You may be a national from a country that is not included on the list and may have to register. If this is the case, you should seek advice from the Overseas Registration Department and checks will be made with the local immigration authorities.


Once I have initially registered, do I need to do anything else in the future?
Once registration is completed, you MUST inform the Police of any of the following changes, within seven days.

  • Change of Address
  • Change of College, University, Occupation or Course
  • Change of Marital status
  • New Entry Visa granting an extension of stay
  • New Home Office extension to your Visa
  • New Passport or travel document issued

Failure to report any of the above changes will render the offender liable to a fine of up £5000, six months imprisonment or both.

How and where can I report changes?
Changes can only be reported and recorded by visiting our office at Pudsey Police Station with your police registration certificate and any relevant supporting documents. Changes cannot be reported by telephone or email or at any other police station in West Yorkshire.  All changes are free of charge

What should I do with my Police Registration Certificate when my stay in the UK is completed and I am returning to my home country?
You may keep your Police Registration Certificate and if you decide to return to the UK at a later date you may be able to use it again.

If you intend to leave the UK permanently, please contact this office prior to your departure, to inform us of the date and airport you are leaving from.


Who can I contact if I have any queries regarding Police Registration?
You can contact the: Overseas Registration Office,
Pudsey Police Station
Dawsons Corner
Bradford Road
LS28 5TA

Telephone : 
0113 2414917
0113 2414817
0113 2414860
0113 2414899
Email : [email protected]westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk

The office is open Monday to Thursday 9am - 4pm.

Last visit for Registration is 3:30pm



List of countries required to register

Afghanistan Algeria Argentina Armenia Azerbaijan Bahrain Belarus
Bolivia Brazil China Colombia Cuba Egypt Georgia
Iran Iraq Israel Jordan Kazakhstan Kuwait Kyrgyzstan
Lebanon Libya Moldova Morocco North Korea Oman Palestine
Peru Qatar Russia Saudi Arabia South Sudan Sudan Syria
Tajikistan Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan UAE Ukraine Uzbekistan