Project Kraken is a national campaign which aims to increase vigilance along the UK’s waterways and to encourage the community to work together to help tackle terrorism and criminal or suspicious activity at marinas, moorings or on the waterway.
How does Project Kraken Work?
Project Kraken provides a way to report unusual activity or behaviour, within the maritime environment, believed or suspected to be linked to acts of crime and preparatory acts of terrorism.
Suspicious activity to look out for:
- Videotaping energy-related critical infrastructure sites, military bases, bridges or significant infrastructures
- An individual’s activity or manner can become suspicious depending on their location. People taking photographs, notes or drawings of restricted areas or vulnerable sites.
- An unusual vessel in a marina, or a person testing the security of a marina or other restricted area to see if they are challenged.
- Evasive answers to common boating questions. Deliberate attempts to avoid contact with others or to draw attention.
- Insertion of strange objects into the waterways near bridges, pipes or key resources.
- Suspicious charters or rentals. Someone asking to alter the usual route or trip a charter takes. Using inappropriate large cash payments, daily extension of marine/port mooring.
- Individuals buying or transporting unusual equipment, chemicals, uniforms, badges, etc.
- Efforts to gain employment at sensitive sites or with outside vendors who have access to potential targets.
- Vehicles parked in isolated places along the waterways.
If you observe suspicious activity:
- DO NOT take direct action
- DO NOT confront the individual
- DO NOT reveal your suspicions
- DO record as many details as possible
- DO notify appropriate authorities as soon as possible.
Take note of:
- WHO did you observe?
- WHAT did you see? Be specific?
- WHERE did you see it?
- WHEN did you see it?
- WHY is it suspicious?
What should you do?
If you see any activity or behaviour that you feel is suspicious and which may be connected to terrorism or serious crime, please report it.
For a non-urgent crime or incident, or to provide information, call:
The Confidential Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321
Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111
The police non-emergency number 101
In an emergency, always dial 999.
If you suspect it, report it.
To download the Project Kraken poster and leaflet please use the links below:
Page last reviewed January 2020